We started out live tweeting the BET Awards for the first hour of the show last night, but as you know, there were just so many bomb things happening that we got all up in our feelings and needed some time to gather our thoughts. And here they are wrapped up in our 8 fave moments:
1. When Beyoncé (joined by Kendrick Lamar) hit the stage right out the gate and set the tone for the entire show with our fave Lemonade track, “Freedom.”
2. When Jesse Williams echoed Bey and Kendrick with his oh-so-woke acceptance speech for the Humanitarian Award, saying this and more: “Freedom is somehow always conditional here. ‘You’re free,’ they keep telling us. ‘But she would’ve been alive if she hadn’t acted so … free.'”
3. When Tracee Ellis Ross and Anthony Anderson hilariously incorporated Hamilton into the show bringing Anthony Hamilton to the stage, dressing in period clothing, and Anthony Anderson remarking, “Why does BET have us dressed like the white people in Roots?” LOL
4. When we got so hype for all of those upcoming movies — the New Edition mini series, When the Bough Breaks, Almost Christmas, and The Birth of a Nation.
Embed from Getty Images
5. The Prince celebration that went on throughout the whole show. Full disclosure: J-Hud’s “Purple Rain” cover was our fave.
6. That moment we realized that Bey came just to perform and then left the building to make it to London for her next Formation World Tour concert. Because she loves the fans. Because she’s dope like that.
7. When our spring ’16 cover girls Chloe and Halle killt the stage with their debut single, “Drop.” Their sound, tho!Embed from Getty Images
8. When someone made this meme of Spike Lee’s Prince-inspired outfit choice:
What were your favorite moments? Tell us in the comments below!