ENTER FOR A CHANCE TO BE PUBLISHED AND WIN $100!
Author Kamichi Jackson (K My Name Is Kendra) has teamed up with Sesi to sponsor a fiction writing contest. Peep the three sentence starters below, pick one to be your short story’s opening line, and use it to create your own original piece.
THE STARTER SENTENCES
HOW TO ENTER
Choose your fave first line from the list of starter sentences above. Then, write a bomb short story (up to 2,000 words) that BEGINS with the first line you chose. E-mail your finished story as an attachment to firstname.lastname@example.org — between June 15, 2017 and August 1, 2017 — with the subject line #SesiStarterSentenceContest. Remember to include your first name and age in the e-mail. Your entry must be received by 11:59 p.m. on August 1, 2017 to qualify. Entries will be read and judged by Kamichi Jackson and Sesi Magazine, LLC. The entrant who submits the most original, creative story will receive $100 and have their story published in Sesi’s fall issue, as well as on sesimag.com.
NO PURCHASE NECESSARY TO ENTER OR WIN. A PURCHASE OR PAYMENT OF ANY KIND WILL NOT INCREASE YOUR CHANCES OF WINNING.
1. HOW TO ENTER: Beginning June 15, 2017 at 12:00 a.m. ET through August 1, 2017 at 11:59 p.m. ET, choose your favorite starter sentence from the list above, write an original short story beginning with that sentence (up to 2,000 words), and submit your completed story to email@example.com by 11:59 p.m. ET on August 1, 2017. One (1) winner will have their story published in the fall issue of Sesi and on sesimag.com and two (2) runners up will have their stories published on sesimag.com only. In the event that the Sponsors do not receive any eligible entries during the entry period, the Sponsors have the right to cancel the contest. Open to legal residents of the 50 United States and the District of Columbia who are between the ages of 13 and 21 at the time of entry. Void where prohibited by law. Winner Selection: Entries will be read and judged by Kamichi Jackson and Sesi Magazine, LLC (the Sponsors), whose decisions are final.
2. WINNER NOTIFICATION: Winner(s) will be announced within two (2) weeks of the last day of the contest, via e-mail. First place winner must e-mail their full name and mailing address to firstname.lastname@example.org. In the event the Winner doesn’t respond to Sponsor’s notification or does not accept the prize within seven (7) days of notification, the prize will be deemed forfeited and an alternate Winner will be selected. In the event that any one or more potential Winner(s) fails to respond as stated above, declines the prize, or fails to provide signed affidavits or releases, such Winner(s) will be deemed to forfeit the prize and Sponsor will select an alternate Winner(s) from the remaining eligible entrants. If any alternate(s) similarly fails to respond or declines the prize, Sponsor will use a reasonable number of attempts, in its discretion, to award the prize(s) to another alternate(s) but if it is unable to do so, the prize(s) will be finally forfeited and Sponsor shall have no further liability in connection with this contest.
3. ENTRIES: Limit one (1) entry total per person. Multiple entries from the same person will be disqualified. If user creates multiple identities to enter, that person’s entries will be deemed ineligible. Entries become the property of the Sponsor and will not be returned. Proof of submission does not constitute proof of receipt. Sponsor is not responsible for lost, late, misdirected, incomplete, or inaccurate entries. Incomplete entries will be disqualified.
4. ELIGIBILITY: Open to legal residents of the 50 United States and the District of Columbia who are between the ages of 13 and 21 at the time of entry. Void where prohibited by law. Employees of Sponsor(s), its contractors, parents, affiliates and subsidiaries, participating advertising and promotion agencies, independent judging organizations, and prize suppliers (and members of their immediate family and/or those living in the same of household of each such employee) are not eligible.
5. CONDITIONS OF PARTICIPATION: Expenses not specifically included in prize description and all taxes are the sole responsibility of the Winner. No transfer, assignment or substitution of a prize is permitted, except Sponsor(s) reserves the right to substitute prize for an item of equal or greater value in the event an advertised prize is unavailable. The Winner is required to comply with any and all applicable federal, state, and local laws, rules and regulations. All federal, state and local taxes, and any other costs not specifically provided for in these Official Rules are solely the Winner’s responsibility. Sponsor(s) shall have no responsibility or obligation to the Winner or potential Winner who is unable or unavailable to accept or utilize prizes as described herein. Entrants agree to be bound by the terms of these Official Rules and by the decisions of Sponsor(s), which are final and binding on all matters pertaining to this Promotion. Winner (and parent or legal guardian if Winner is a minor) may be required to sign and return an Affidavit of Eligibility, a Liability Release, and where legally permissible, a Publicity Release within seven (7) days following the date of first attempted notification. Failure to comply with this deadline may result in forfeiture of the prize and selection of an alternate Winner. Return of any prize/prize notification as undeliverable may result in disqualification and selection of an alternate Winner. Winner hereby further agrees that they will sign any documents necessary to transfer copyright of his/her submitted entry, if applicable, to Sponsor(s) within seven (7) days following the date of first attempted notification. By entering, Entrant grants permission for Sponsor(s), and any of its affiliates and subsidiaries, participating advertising and promotion agencies, and prize suppliers to use the entrant’s submission (including an altered form of the entry), if any, for editorial, advertising and promotional purposes without additional compensation, unless prohibited by law. If images are being submitted to Sponsor(s) as a requirement for entry, Entrants agree that they have all rights to use the images submitted and to allow Sponsor(s), any of its affiliates and subsidiaries, participating advertising and promotion agencies, and prize suppliers to reuse any of the images, without any liability, for editorial, advertising and promotional purposes. Additionally, acceptance of the prize by Winner constitutes permission for Sponsor(s) and any affiliates and subsidiaries, participating advertising and promotion agencies, and prize suppliers to use Winner’s name and/or likeness and biographical material for editorial, advertising and promotional purposes without additional compensation, unless prohibited by law. By accepting prize, Winner agrees to hold Sponsor(s), its advertising and promotion agencies and their respective parent companies, subsidiaries, affiliates, partners, representative agents, successors, assigns, officers, directors, and employees harmless for any injury or damage caused or claimed to be caused by participation in the giveaway or acceptance or use of the prize. Sponsor is not responsible for any printing, typographical, mechanical or other error in the printing of the offer, administration of the contest, or in the announcement of the prize.
6. INTERNET: Sponsor(s) is not responsible for electronic transmission errors resulting in omission, interruption, deletion, defect, delay in operations or transmission, theft or destruction or unauthorized access to or alterations of entry materials, or for technical, network, telephone equipment, electronic, computer, hardware or software malfunctions or limitations of any kind, or inaccurate transmissions of or failure to receive entry information by Sponsor(s) or presenter on account of technical problems or traffic congestion on the Internet or at any Web site or any combination thereof. If for any reason the Internet portion of the program is not capable of running as planned, including infection by computer virus, bugs, tampering, unauthorized intervention, fraud, technical failures, or any other causes which corrupt or affect the administration, security, fairness, integrity, or proper conduct of this Promotion, Sponsor(s) reserves the right at its sole discretion to cancel, terminate, modify or suspend the Promotion. Sponsor(s) reserves the right to select winners from eligible entries received as of the termination date. Sponsor(s) further reserves the right to disqualify any individual who tampers with the entry process. Sponsor(s) may prohibit an entrant from participating in a Promotion if it determines that said entrant is attempting to undermine the legitimate operation of the Promotion by cheating, hacking, deception or other unfair playing practices or intending to abuse, threaten or harass other entrants. Any attempt by a participant to deliberately damage any Web site or undermine the legitimate operation of the Promotion is a violation of criminal and civil laws and should such an attempt be made, Sponsor(s) reserves the right to seek damages from any such participant to the fullest extent of the law.
7. DISPUTES/CHOICE OF LAW: Except where prohibited, each entrant agrees that: (1) any and all disputes, claims and causes of action arising out of or connected with this or any prize awarded shall be resolved individually, without resort to any form of class action, and exclusively by state or federal courts situated in Stafford, VA, (2) any and all claims, judgments and awards shall be limited to actual out-of-pocket costs incurred, but in no event attorneys’ fees; and (3) no punitive, incidental, special, consequential or other damages, including without limitation lost profits may be awarded (collectively, “Special Damages”), and (4) entrant hereby waives all rights to claim Special Damages and all rights to have such damages multiplied or increased. Virginia state law governs the giveaway and all aspects related thereto.
8. SPONSOR(S): The Sponsors of this Promotion are Sesi Magazine, LLC and Kamichi Jackson (c/o Sesi Magazine, LLC), 524 Garrisonville Rd., #549, Garrisonville, VA 22463.