Updated: May 21, 2018
Your privacy is important to us.
- We are thoughtful about the personal information we ask you to provide and the personal information that we collect about you through the operation of our services.
- We store personal information for only as long as we have a reason to keep it. If you subscribe, we keep it for the length of your subscription. Subscriptions are one-year — longer if renewed, shorter if cancelled.
- We aim for full transparency on how we gather, use, and share your personal information.
Information We Collect
We only collect information about you if we have a reason to do so — for example, to provide you with your subscription, to communicate with you, or to make our products and services better.
We collect information in three ways: If and when you provide information to us, automatically through operating our website, and from outside sources. Let’s go over the information we collect.
Information You Provide to Us
It’s probably no surprise that we collect information that you provide to us. The amount and type of information depends on the context and how we use the information. Here are some examples:
- Basic Info: We ask for basic information from you in order to set up your magazine subscription. For example, when you sign up for a subscription or order a single copy or gift subscription for someone, we require you to submit your full name, mailing address, and e-mail address. This information is collected via embedded Wufoo forms.
- Transaction and Billing Information: If you subscribe or purchase single copies of Sesi, you will provide additional personal and payment information that is required to process the transaction and your payment, such as your name, credit card information, and contact information. This information is processed via PayPal and sometimes via Square.
- Communications With Us (Haayyy!): You may also provide us information when you respond to surveys, enter giveaways or contests, comment on a post published to our website, use our contact form/send us an e-mail, or DM us on social media.
Information We Collect Automatically
We also collect some information automatically:
- Visitor Information: Like most websites, we collect information that web browsers, mobile devices, and servers typically make available, such as the browser type, IP address, unique device identifiers, language preference, referring site, the date and time of access, operating system, and mobile network information.
- Usage Information: We collect information about your usage on our site, too. For example, we collect info about the actions you perform on sesimag.com using our host’s (WordPress.com and Jetpack) services. In other words, who did what, when and to what thing on a site (e.g., Visitor clicked what posts/links on what date.) We also collect information such as page views, search terms, and information about your device (e.g., screen size, name of cellular network, and mobile device manufacturer). We use this information to, for example, provide our website to you, as well as get insights on how people use our website, so we can make it better.
- Location Information: We may determine the approximate location of your device from your IP address. We collect and use this information to, for example, calculate how many people visit us from certain geographic regions. We may also collect information about your precise location via our mobile apps (when, for example, you post a photograph with location information) if you allow us to do so through your mobile device operating system’s permissions.
How And Why We Use Information
Purposes for Using Information
We use information about you as mentioned above and for the purposes listed below:
- To provide our products/services — for example, to set up and maintain your subscription; charge you for your recurring subscription costs once per year;
- To further develop and improve our website and products — for example by adding new features that we think our readers will enjoy;
- To monitor and analyze trends and better understand how users interact with us, which helps us improve;
- To better understand user retention and attrition – for example, we may analyze how many individuals purchased a subscription after receiving a marketing message;
- To monitor and prevent any problems with our website, protect the security of our website, detect and prevent fraudulent transactions and other illegal activities, fight spam, and protect the rights and property of sesimag.com and others, which may result in us declining a transaction or the use of our website; and
- To communicate with you, for example through an email, about offers and articles we think will be of interest to you, solicit your feedback, or keep you up to date on Sesi.
Legal Bases for Collecting and Using Information
A note here for those in the European Union about our legal grounds for processing information about you under EU data protection laws, which is that our use of your information is based on the grounds that:
(1) The use is necessary in order to fulfill our commitments to you under our Terms of Service or other agreements with you or is necessary to administer your account — for example, in order to send you the magazines in your subscription (or single copies you’ve ordered) or charge you for your recurring subscription plan; or
(2) The use is necessary for compliance with a legal obligation; or
(3) The use is necessary in order to protect your vital interests or those of another person; or
(4) We have a legitimate interest in using your information — for example, to provide and update our products/services; to improve our products/services so that we can offer you an even better user experience; to safeguard our products/services; to communicate with you; to measure, gauge, and improve the effectiveness of our advertising; and better understand user retention and attrition; to monitor and prevent any problems with our products/services; and to personalize your experience; or
How We Share Information
We do not sell our users’ private personal information.
We share information about you in the limited circumstances spelled out below and with appropriate safeguards on your privacy:
- Third Party Vendors: We may share information about you with third party vendors who need to know information about you in order to provide their services to us, or to provide their services to you. This group includes vendors that help us provide our products/services to you (like payment providers that process your credit and debit card information, fraud prevention services that allow us to analyze fraudulent payment transactions, postal and email delivery services that help us stay in touch with you, customer chat and email support services that help us communicate with you, those that assist us with our marketing efforts (e.g. by providing tools for identifying a specific marketing target group or improving our marketing campaigns), and those that help us understand and enhance our products/services (like analytics providers). Our web host requires vendors to agree to privacy commitments in order to share information with them.
- Legal Requests: We may disclose information about you in response to a subpoena, court order, or other governmental request.
- To Protect Rights, Property, and Others: We may disclose information about you when we believe in good faith that disclosure is reasonably necessary to protect the property or rights of Sesi Magazine, LLC, third parties, or the public at large. For example, if we have a good faith belief that there is an imminent danger of death or serious physical injury, we may disclose information related to the emergency without delay.
- With Your Consent: We may share and disclose information with your consent or at your direction. For example, we may share your information with third parties with which you authorize us to do so. For example, if you enter a giveaway or contest and we need to share the winner’s name and address, so that the co-sponsoring company can ship the winnings to the person.
- Aggregated or De-Identified Information: We may share information that has been aggregated or reasonably de-identified, so that the information could not reasonably be used to identify you. For instance, we may publish aggregate statistics about the use of our products/services.
- Other Site Owners: If you have a WordPress.com account and leave a comment on our site, your IP address and the email address associated with your WordPress.com account may be shared with us.
Information Shared Publicly
Information that you choose to make public is — you guessed it — shared publicly.
That means, of course, that information like your comments, likes, and other content you make public on our website are all available to others.
Public information may also be indexed by search engines or used by third parties.
Please keep all of this in mind when deciding what you would like to share.
How Long We Keep Information
We generally discard information about you when we no longer need the information for the purposes for which we collect and use it — which are described in the section above on How and Why We Use Information — and we are not legally required to continue to keep it.
For example, our web host (WordPress.com/Automattic) keeps the web server logs that record information about a visitor, such as the visitor’s IP address, browser type, and operating system, for approximately 30 days. The logs are kept for this period of time in order to, among other things, analyze traffic and investigate issues if something goes wrong.
Another example: If you subscribe or purchase a single copy or back issue of Sesi, we keep that information for one year, just in case any questions arise about the order or we need that information to confirm when an subscription is auto-renewed. Subscriptions are one-year — longer if renewed.
While no online service is 100% secure, we, via our web host and third party vendors, work very hard to protect information about you against unauthorized access, use, alteration, or destruction, and take reasonable measures to do so, such as monitoring our products/services/website for potential vulnerabilities and attacks. The Wufoo forms we use also use encryption and other methods to protect your information.
You have several choices available when it comes to information about you:
- Limit the Information You Provide: You can choose not to provide account information and transaction and billing information, but please keep in mind that if you do not provide this information, you will not be able to subscribe to the magazine. You will be able to access sesimag.com, however.
- Limit Access to Information On Your Mobile Device: Your mobile device operating system should provide you with the ability to discontinue our web host’s ability to collect stored information or location information via its mobile apps.
- Opt-Out of Electronic Communications: You may opt out of receiving promotional and other messages from us. Just follow the instructions in those messages.
- Set Your Browser to Reject Cookies: At this time, our web host (WordPress.com/Automattic) does not respond to “do not track” signals across all of its services. However, you can usually choose to set your browser to remove or reject browser cookies before using sesimag.com, with the drawback that certain features may not function properly without the aid of cookies.
- Cancel Your Subscription: While we’d be very sad to see you go, if you no longer want to subscribe to the magazine 😦 😦 😦 :(, you can cancel at any time. Simply send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Cancel My Subscription” in the subject line. In the e-mail message, please include the payee’s name and address, along with the name of the actual subscriber. A refund check will be issued to the payee for all the remaining copies that have not been mailed at the time of cancellation. Please keep in mind that we may continue to retain your information after closing your account, as described in How Long We Keep Information above — for example, when that information is reasonably needed to comply with (or demonstrate our compliance with) legal obligations such as law enforcement requests, or reasonably needed for our legitimate business interests.
If you are located in certain countries, including those that fall under the scope of the European General Data Protection Regulation (AKA the “GDPR”), data protection laws give you rights with respect to your personal data, subject to any exemptions provided by the law, including the rights to:
- Request access to your personal data;
- Request correction or deletion of your personal data;
- Object to our use and processing of your personal data;
- Request that we limit our use and processing of your personal data; and
- Request portability of your personal data.
You can usually access, correct, or delete your subscription via PayPal, but if you aren’t able to do that, or you would like to contact us about one of the other rights, contact us via our contact form, or send us an e-mail at email@example.com
EU individuals also have the right to make a complaint to a government supervisory authority.
Controllers and Responsible Companies
Sesi Magazine, LLC is based in the United States, but ships internationally, and is the controller (or co-controller) of personal information, which means we are the company responsible for processing that information.
Sesi Magazine, LLC
524 Garrisonville Road
Garrisonville, VA 22463
Other Things You Should Know (Keep Reading!)
Ads and Analytics Services Provided by Others